Yesterday was Max's first day at pre-school. I think it was more traumatic for me them him. It was the first time I was away from him and I cried and cried. I called twice to check on him and he was fine. He cried a little at first after I left and then he was fine. He ran up to me when I walked in the door to pick him up. I did get to see him interact with the other kids. He is a champ! So I will now admit that the doctor was right- this is very good for his development- maybe I am the one that needs the help! He will go a couple of hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Today we had to make the hour drive down to Charleston. We had an appointment at MUSC Children's Hospital. He has only gained 2.5 lbs not 4 lbs as originally thought barely 25 lbs. No worries from the doctors- they think as long as he continues with the protein supplements and vitamins he will be fine. We did have to finally breakdown and get blood drawn. They want to check for anemia and then did the other lab blood tests. I was horrible! I will never get used to them drawing blood from him. I should hear by Monday. He is on some medication for his hair- for those of you who don't know Max has a couple of bald spots on his head which is nothing serious probably from a small infection and or malnutrition. Again this is not anything to worry about.
We also spent an hour with the occupational therapist. My little man is doing GREAT! Only a couple of things on his fine motor skills but she was very impressed considering he has been adopted internationally. She said that he is doing better then most she works with and that he is doing wonderfully with the attachment with his parents. He will cling to us when someone else tries to pick him up, only will let us hold him, kisses and hugs only mommy (and papa), and only takes food from us. I was so happy while he was taking this test- because I know my boy is a mama's boy! We will need to do some 'homework" with the fine motor skills but they all (therapist, hospital doctors, and our pediatrician) are encouraging the pre-school a couple hours a week- so there is no getting out of it. I guess that I secretly wanted them to say that it was bad for attachment or something but they want him to catch up with the others two year olds as soon as possible. They all said that it won't take long but we shouldn't put it off since he is like a sponge now.
Linda M- You can come and visit anytime you want too- call me we would LOVE to see you!
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
My Beach Bum
Posted by Sira at 9:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Sira, I love the pics of Max at the beach , especially that last one!! It's great news he is doing so well and it sounds like he adores his mama and papa.
We've been following your blog for about two months now. We began our adoption through Children's Hope in May and are hoping to submit our Dossier in August.
Max is an adorable boy and I so enjoy seeing the pictures of him on your blog. I look forward to reading your blog and seeing the progress that Max is making. I just wanted to introduce ourselves since we know so much about your lives through your blog and thank you for allowing us all to read your adoption story and share in your journey to bring Max home.
Many blessings,
Carey and Norman
Sira -
I'm so glad to hear that Max is doing well and I'm sure it must be so tough to send him to preschool I mean not only are you so attached to him but you had to wait so long to get him and now they want you to send him off to preschool. That must be so tough. I hope that things get easier as the time goes by! Keep letting us know how he's doing! MandyJo
Oh and I forgot to tell you how cute the beach pictures and the little announcement are! So cute!
Max looks like he loves the beach! He looks so cute! It sounds like he is attaching to you and Cliff very well and that his development is going very well! I look forward to seeing his progress. Thanks for continuing to post updates.
By the way, can you email me and tell me where you got your adoption announcements? They are great! My email is coneal414@yahoo.com. Thanks!
I LOVE the beach pictures!
I bet it was SO hard to leave Max at preschool. I'm a little surprised the IAC recommended preschool so soon too for attachment reasons, but I do agree it is SO good for his social and educational development! Sounds like Max is doing GREAT with attachment!!!
I don't know how I'd do if I had to leave Owen right now either so I am so proud of you for making it through today!
When I taught preschool in college, I always told the parents it's so much harder on them than it is on the children, and it's so true! The kids love being with other children and doing all the fun things that happen at preschool!
Thank you so much for the announcement. I love it! I'm still working on Owen's, but it's almost done :)
Talk to you soon,
Adrienne
Dear Lissy and Cliff,
CONGRATULATIONS! Angel told me long ago about your intentions to adopt Max from Russia and I heard just the other day that he is now living with you. I am very happy for both of you and wish you well. He is so prescious, just looking at the pictures and I have no doubt in my mind that the two of you will be wonderful parents and will have a wonderful and happy family. Congratulations once again.
Sincerely,
Angel's little cousin, LIBBY
oliviajcable@yahoo.com
Post a Comment