
The other day Cliff decided that we needed to get one of those little potties for Max. We were previously using a smaller seat that you put on top of the toilet seat. I guess the logic was that we would not have to clean anything out. Honestly I have never had the stomach for the idea.
Now that Max is here and I have cleaned up everything else that has projected out of his little body the idea isn't that scary. We went down to Toy r Us and bought a fabulous little potty. How exciting. Honestly I never thought in a million years that someone would say how was your weekend- and I would respond- "great we bought a little potty!" Seriously!!! Anyway getting back on track...
So as soon as we brought the potty home Max would not wear diapers and uses his potty. Amazing! Now it is disgusting but it works! Better then taking the trash out every time we had a diaper change. Life is now back to normal on the potty training!
Cliff's parents came down and spent a few days with Max. He had a good time. He did a little fishing and went to the beach. He is just doing so well. My child is so remarkable. What I mean by this is - to anyone adopting I have read all of the books and there are wonderful books on attachment and bonding and institutionalized children. It is so important to read them and be prepared for the issues that come up.
Max had gone through many issues and we are dealing with a few but in the whole sceame of things he is adjusting and bonding and becoming such a happy little boy it just amazes me. So different from the boy I first met and brought home. He is just proof that not all have problems! I just want to point out that he was considered an "older" child once he was 19 months and we got him at 30 months. There are many people emailing me questions for referrals because they are beginning the process and have so many questions like I did- and I just want everyone to know that it is possible for these kids to fit in perfectly and be normal, happy loving children- both babies and young children. I don't want to be that mom that babbles on and on about how my kid is terrific (although I can) I just needed to open that up to everyone that not all adopted kids have these deep issues.
We have outing everyday and he does fine eating out in restaurants and playing with other children. He knows his roll in the family, that he is the baby. He loves to kiss and hug and guess what - he sleeps through the night and naps great. It is such a natural fit! He is also ALL BOY!!! He love to get dirty and play with trucks and mud! In other news- we had to buy new shoes today because his flip flops (and that is the proper beach attire) are getting too small. This is a mile stone for a parent. Max is growing! Hooray for protein!
So the picture of the lab is not really on of ours- I just thought it was a funny Picture! We found out this Saturday that our oldest lab has hip displesa. This has been very upsetting to us. She is only 6 years old. Unfortunately we live in a stilted beach house so we basically are 3 stories with lots of stairs. This is very painful for her to walk up and down the steps. Walking and running doesn't seem to be the issue its just getting up and down and the steps. We are giving her glucosamine. The vet says that as long as we treat it and make sure she continues exercising we may be able to control the pain. If the symptoms worsen we are looking at having to replace the hip. Not cheap!!! Poor thing!
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Back to the potty again
Posted by Sira at 8:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That is GREAT news about the potty!!! So exciting!!! We have both and Alex likes to experiment with them. Good times. And I can second your statement about not having many issues to deal with! I think the more prepared one is to adopt internationally, the more surprised (in a good way) they'll be when they bring their little one home.
YEA for the potty! No more stinky diapers! You are so blessed that Max is sleeping so well! Owen is teething and is having a hard time staying asleep at night. It's getting better...he slept until 3 a.m. and then until 4 a.m. and then until 6 a.m. this morning, which is better than waking up at 12, 2-4 (yes, he was awake for 2 hours), and again at 5. Whew! Hooray for Max sleeping well!
I am so glad you posted about the challenges of int'l adoption but also about how resilient these little ones are! We prepared for the worst and have been so pleasantly surprised at Owen's ability to adapt, bond, and learn each day. Our boys are great, aren't they?
I love your comment about buying a potty over the weekend--you're totally a mom! :)
I'm so sorry about your dog. My sister's dog had the same thing and had the hardest time with stairs. He also took glucosamine.
Give Max a big hug from his cousin Owen!
Sira -
I'm so happy to hear that Max is using the potty. I mean not that it would be the end of the world if he wasn't using it - but it's good that he has decided he's ready and he wants to. I tend to think that kids decide when they are ready and just do it. I'm sorry to hear that about your lab :( - I hope that the meds work and you don't have to do surgery.
Oh and thanks so much for the insight about international adoption - I'm doing as much research as I can trying to figure everything out. I can wait to get started. Anyway - I hope that everything keeps going well with Max - Congrats on the needing new shoes! Thats a great milestone!
MandyJo
Sira,
I love the dog picture!! I have a dog that tries to drink out of the toilet if the lid isn't down!! The potty training sounds like it's moving along. We all love that you brag on your son!!
Post a Comment