

I am posting a couple pictures of Max. My favorite is the one of him in the garage "resting" after helping Papa with garage work. Male bonding at all ages. The thing is nothing ever gets done. They are too cute together.
I took a week off from blogging because I just didn't want to bore everyone with our everyday stuff. Max is doing absolutely wonderful! He has become such a happy little kid so different from the shy little boy I met six months ago. We are all adjusting fine.
Being a mom sure is something to adjust to. It is so weird that this little guy depends on me for every little thing. I sometime just look at him and say- "why do you trust me so much?" I have learned to just go with the flow. It is so weird that you can look at a small person and just give them your all with out them asking you too. I never thought that I could love something so much that made such BIG messes- and I hate messes! He just makes me laugh- out loud!
You also have to deal with ignorance. By the way adoptive parents do not like the question "what happened to his real parents" This is a question I get asked everyday. First off Cliff and I are Max's real parents and what happened with his birth parents is Max's business only. The other day I was enrolling him in pre-school and one of the women just went on and on about how little he was for being two and a half. I know that she wasn't trying to be rude but there is a thin line between making an observation and plain gawking- and she was crossing it. She then proceeded to tell me what I could do to help my child 'not be so small'- I was being as nice as I could until the nice wore off and I just pointed out to her (in front of everyone one else) that he was in a Russian orphanage and that he is on protein for his weight. She didn't have too much to add after that and I am sure didn't expect that.
Other things to adjust to is my schedule. See before I did what I wanted when I wanted- work included. My hair stylist and my very good friend always shifted schedules around. I never minded this because I am usually at the salon for 4 hours at a time and if she moved me around or I had an important meeting no one cared. Sometimes she would call and ask if she could move me and I would always say "I was just about to call you to move" and vice versa. Now it is sooo different she called me this week and it was crushing!!! I had arrangements! Arrangements- OK this is defiantly a word that never came into my vocabulary until now- arrangements are something that "parents" make- well guess what boys and girls- I now make arrangements. So if things change on my schedule I then have to make new arrangements- how fun~
Potty training- So most parents have trouble potty training their children. I am just the opposite. Max was totally potty trained up until 5 days ago he just decided that is wasn't for him. I will ask him "do you need to go to the potty" He says NO! OK... so I take him to the potty and he stops at the door and screams like the toilet moster will come and eat him if he goes into that bathroom. I just feel like a failure- how could I have screwed up one of the best things??? Well I broke down a called my pediatrician (who has 2 Russian children herself) and she told me that it is not my fault that he is regressing and that this is a sign of good attachment- WHAT!?!?
Apparently the theory is that he has never been a "baby" or at least any one's baby and therefore now that he has 2 parents cooing over him 24 hours a day he feels that he can now go into a little "infancy". OK well then how do you explain him not wanting to hold my hand in a public place? Maybe the doctor was just being nice and didn't want me to know that I am totally messing my kid up and I haven't even had him a whole month yet. Maybe? Max thinks I am the smartest person in the whole world and that is all that matters.
Monday, July 16, 2007
Coming out of hiding and making Arragements
Posted by Sira at 9:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Max is so cute!! And he looks like he is growing lots...he looks so much older and taller than from the orphange pictures on your last trip. If it helps at all, my 4 year old bio son is really small for his age...he's at 5 percent for weight and height and we eat pretty healthy and I add in extra calories for him..still on whole milk...lots of butter in his oatmeal, avocado in his black beans etc..my son is just small and that's okay as long as he doesn't fall off his own growth curve..even his 2 year old brother is catching up with him, they are very close in wt and ht.
Don't stress and beat yourself up about the potty training either. My 2 year old bio son has been using the potty since he was 16 months and he still goes through weeks of using the potty and then weeks of not wanting to use it. It seems with boys once they are in their 3's it just works itself out. He will use it in his own time..he's got a lot on his plate right now...lots of new experiences and adjustments to make. I have never met a kindergardener yet still in diapers. Parenting is all about trying stuff out..and each child is so different so even if it worked for the first it might not work the same for the second, or third...Hang in there..you are doing great!!
I'm so happy to see you post! Don't you worry about boring us with parenting stuff - some of us (like me) will be first time parents like you and I love hearing about your experiences! Especially the potty training! I've had the pleasure of parenting a 15 year old for the past year so when you get there, I'll share! ;-) I did read on some other board (no clue which) that a lot of children revert back to being a "baby" once they are home and feel safe and potty training is the first thing to go. You are definitely not a failure! Look at the pictures of that thriving boy - that is a true sign of mommy and daddy success! :-) BTW, love the picture of him in the chair in the garage. He looks like he should have a can in a koozie or something!
Sira, Max looks like he is doing great!! No worries about boring us. Like Backy said us first time moms look forward to hearing how you are doing especially at every day things. Thanks for sharing.
Keep posting about the little things....we are about to bring home a 35 month old little boy from Russia, so I'm planning on checking on you and Max often to compare notes!!!
Robin
Sira -
Don't worry even kids from regular familes sometimes decide that they aren't going to be potty trained any more ... it's just a day to day thing and you keep working it until it works for you & Max :) !!! Oh and the holding hand thing ... that is a thing that I experienced w/ nannying too.. not that it's the same as being a mom but sometimes kids just think they shouldn't have to hold your hand ... which just stick with him I'm sure you two will figure it out. Max looks good and don't worry about the naysayers ... if I had a dollar for every person who gave me a crazy look or a comment like why can't you wait to have kids when I tell them I'm adopting. I'd have a good portion of my adoption already paid for! I think that is why I put on my profile if you have any POSITIVE feedback it's welcome or something like that .... some people just don't think before they open their mouths! Sighs... I just pray that someday they'll wise up or they just won't be around me! LOL! Thanks for the update! It's so good to hear that you guys are doing well!
Manda
Is that a Buffalo Sabres jersey that Max is wearing? We are both originally from the Buffalo area.
Is there a Buffalo connection in your family?
I love to hear the detail. Gives me hope for the future. Glad he's doing so well.
From what I've read on attachment regression is normal and healthy. Baby him for awhile and he'll come through it just fine.
Not so sure about the parents. LOL JK!
Hi Sira...
I have been keeping up with your story. First of all, I am so happy for you all. This has been a long time in the making and it is so great to have your son with you now!
It seems like adjustments all the way around are going well. Arden wouldn't hold my hand in public either... drove me crazy :)
Please send me you e-mail address so I can touch base with you.
Rachael King
rsk30319@yahoo.com
Hey there,
It is completely normal for Max to regress in the potty training thing and also other areas. Your doctor is totally right that Max missed out on all the baby stages of constant love and attention and someone responding to his every need so it's important for you to continue to do it so he can experience it and get to where other 2 year olds are. It's also completely normal for boys not to be potty trained until 3 years old, sometimes older.
The not holding hands in public...he's probably testing his independence now that he has more room to roam than at the baby home! You can give him a choice, hold your hand or you carry him. He may actually like being carried for a while since he missed out on this too. We are carrying Owen all the time and it seems to be helping him stay with us when we are around other people. He is learning the difference between us as his parents and strangers.
Sorry so much info...email me if you want. Sounds like you have a great pediatrician!!
You're doing a great job! Just listen to what Max is telling you and trust your instincts.
I totally can empathize with the whole mommy adjustment and the scheduling everything!!! I have only left the house 2 times in 2 weeks, and I am so ready for a little break! Owen still takes 2 naps/day and we're easing him into being around a lot of people b/c he gets overstimulated so it's so hard to go anywhere!!
Keep up the good work! Max is doing great, and don't listen to other people about his weight. He will be just fine and you are working on it so they can mind their own business!
TAlk to you soon,
Adrienne
Sira: Not having children I can't comment but Max looks like very happy and loved boy. I can't wait for you to bring him in the office again.
Hugs, Jackie
Post a Comment