
Max had a wonderful first 4th of July! We went to the annual Murrells Inlet boat parade. This was a no brainer since it is across the street. He had fun although he fell asleep before he could see the fireworks.
Since we have been back many people have asked why Russia. Well many things went into the decision of why we picked Russia. Below I am listing some of the statistics. I want to thank the people that have already listed these reasons on your blogs (Amanda)- Thank You!!!!
More than 700,000 orphans are living in 2,000 state-run orphanages. Of those, 95 percent have a living parent unable to or unwilling to care for them. That doesn't include the estimated 2 million to 4 million homeless orphans living on the streets and in railway stations.
Of those who are not adopted and leave the orphanage between the ages of 16 and 18
50 percent of the girls become prostitutes
40 percent of the children become addicted to drugs or alcohol
40 percent commit crimes
10 percent commit suicide
Also...
Just 1 in 10 former Russian orphans becomes a functional member of society.
132,500 children are abandoned to the state in Russia every year, up from roughly 67,000 in 1992.
Nearly 4,640 Russian orphans were adopted by Americans in 2005, down from a record 5,865 in 2004.
13 out of every 100 children adopted by Russians are eventually returned to the orphanage.
40 million children in the former Soviet Union are living in poverty.
Sources: Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation, the Commission for Children at Risk, Human Rights Watch, European Children's Trust, Rosstat Agency
Thursday, July 5, 2007
Happy 4th of July!
Posted by Sira at 8:23 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Sira -
Max is so adorable. I'm so happy that you, Max and Cliff are safe at home! It's funny I've had people ask me the same thing about Russia when I've talked about the fact that I want to adopt. Sometimes I wonder if people don't realize how many of the world's children live the life of orphans in poverty. While I'm nervous about adopting and being single - I think those statistics that I posted on my blog scare me more than becoming a parent ever could. Blessing someone in need by making my dream to become a parent is really the adventure of a life time and giving a child a chance to reach their full potential vs. the hand that life has dealt them. I love reading your blog it gives me hope about being on the right path. Hopefully I'll get there someday! Have a great weekend!
Amanda :)
That is a fabulous picture of Max! :-) Glad you had a great 4th!
Sira -
Thanks for your comment - you'll have to let me know how you do that bubbleshare picture thing! I'd like to get some pictures together and do something like that also! - Amanda
Sira,
Max looks so cute in his swimming trunks! I'm excited that he's already picking up words and understanding body parts--that's great!!! I am so ready for Owen to start using some words. I'm a speech pathologist, I have to be able to teach my OWN child to talk!! He is babbling away, making new sounds everyday so I know it's coming. He's started making kissing sounds after we kiss him and opens his mouth really big when we go to kiss his cheek...it's so cute.
I love seeing updated pictures of Max with you and Cliff. Keep them coming!
Adrienne
I'm so happy for you. It's wonderful that you are now home with your little boy. I can't even imagine what that must feel like. Thanks for sharing your journey. It's exciting for the rest of us PAP's to watch other families make the long trek and come home with their child.
After meeting your Max last week and his not wanting to give up playing with my cane, it confirms all that I need to get him for his Birthdays and Christmas is a fancy stick or something that looks like a cane.
By the way, what date is his birthday?
Uncle Eddie & aunt Claire
Post a Comment