
So I am not sure anyone out there is still reading this blog… I have been a very bad blogger and have not updated. I was busy with the election, planning a wedding, and parenting the coolest little man. So I am sorry, please come back to me. Oh… Costa Rica was incredible (but I‘ll save that for the next post)
The wedding was great, we are now hitched, and NO it does not feel any different. Don’t get me wrong I am happy we are married, but we have been together so long now, that the “honeymoon” period wore off YEARS ago… however that is actually a good thing because I know without a shadow of a doubt this is the guy for me. We have been though the trenches and still we decided no one else will do- not even Brad Pitt whom I have held out for, and then just came to terms with the fact that I just can’t compete with Angelina… ok, just seeing if anyone has NOT given up on my blog.
One thing that my wedding planner asked me was “what was your movie moment with Cliff” and me “what???” What she meant was the moment it all came together. This was after she was unimpressed by the story on how we met which was he was passed out on a friend of mine’s couch. It was college and we were so very very very young. Back when our bodies could handle sleeping on couches.
So here is our “movie” moment. I was what I like to call “stupid in love” with Cliff. I am not sure at that time in our “very” early twenties if he was that hot for me but he seemed to hang around. I was at a turning point in my young impressionable life and I was bound and determined to see the world and I wasn’t going to wait around on some guy (even if I was stupid in love with him) So I did it… I sought out a new life and I was heading for Dublin Ireland, by MYSELF, cause I was an INDE-PEN-DANT woman.
Cliff told me at my going away party that he was going to follow me. You can only imagine the smile on my face. However as happy as I was, and as stupid in love as I was one thing that I was not was dumb. I know that the odds were against him going. He had no where to stay, he didn’t have a job, he didn’t have a passport… he didn’t have a plan. So I left the good old USA not putting too much stock on him “being right behind me” even though I wanted it more then anything.
Back when I landed in Ireland (many years ago), there was no calling home, I didn’t have a computer so there was no way to really call to see if he was still coming or not and no way to let him know where I was in the big city of “Dublin” All I knew was the day his flight came in. The day that his plane was due to come I remember being so nervous. I took a bus to the airport, which was an adventure in itself because I was on the wrong side of the street trying to catch the bus, just basically being a typical American. When I finally arrived at the Dublin airport I was standing next to a man who was also waiting on someone on the same flight. The flight was coming in from London Heathrow; I have this imbedded in my mind because I was staring at the screen for what seemed to be forever.
The man beside me and I watched hundreds of people depart the plane. Cliff was not coming out of the gate. The man beside me was waiting on his friend too. He was asking if that was everyone, and I was hopeful that it wasn’t because his friend hadn’t came out yet. Then after several minutes his friend did come out of the gate.
I felt stupid. I couldn’t believe that I even believed for a second he would be on that plane. I mean why would he want to fly all the way across the pond for me? I went to a “Starbuck like” place in the airport for some coffee and to think about if I should take a cab or a bus back home. My pride was already stomped on, why not go back on the bus which I couldn’t board before because I couldn’t figure out why they were driving on the wrong side of the road…. I mean maybe some of the people will still be on that bus and just point and laugh at the stupid American some more- at that point I didn’t even care WHATEVER!!!
Just then I turned around to see and hung over, sleepy, lost, American. Yes, it was Cliff. He was the last off the plane and held over by customs. We almost just missed each other. I just keep looking at him that day and saying over and over “I can’t believe you are in Dublin” You know if I would have left the airport and didn’t get that cup of coffee he would have never found me and I would have never known that he was on that plane… FATE, yes it was. And thankfully these days we have the internet and cell phones.
So, that was our movie moment.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Movie Moment
Posted by Sira at 4:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Wow...where do I begin? That is a perfect, movie moment. A Sleepless in Seattle moment. Most of us do not have those moments. Love it.
I went to Ireland in 2002 and loved it. I'm so excited to hear that you lived there. I always wanted to live overseas, but I never took the chance. I love to travel (preferably Europe)!! And, I too was very INDEPENDENT!!
I’m not seeing Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in
the Casablanca airport scene!!!
Dad
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/
See, now I just think your lying. That doesn't happen in real life.
That's an amazing movie moment! Kudos to Cliff for knowing what he wanted and finding his way to you!!
Aw, I love it. I've been checking and checking for a wedding post. :)
Congratulations on getting married!! Becky gave us some details, too, and it sounds like it was a wonderful wedding! I enjoyed reading about your "movie moment!" It does truly sound like a movie. I hope Max is doing well! Happy Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment