CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Papas and Peeing

I adopted an "older" child... I hate saying that but that is the category he was in because he was over the age of 18 months or something like that. He was 30 months old. He is and will always be my baby boy- no matter what HE thinks! The other day I picked him up and he he say "I am not a baby, I am a big boy" Well, Maxim no you are my baby until I die. Get it got it GOOD!!! I really don't care if he was 13 when he came home from Russia he would still be my baby boy.

OK, now that is out of the way... one VERY cool thing about my son being 2 1/2 when he came home was that he was potty trained. This has saved us lots of money on diapers. I know that there are some of you out there that might want to know what to expect when it comes to boys peeing. Here are some bullet points

* Be prepared for sneezing or yawing- they lose focus- have Clorox wipes handy
* Never call their name or tell them to look at something while in mid-stream if you do have Clorox wipes handy
* If their father teaches them they can pee outside- they will even if there are people watching or you are sitting on the beach- its fair game.
* I don't know why but sometimes they want to touch it in mid-stream, maybe testing the temperature- not too sure

Another thing about Max being 2 1/2 is that he spoke Russian words, that he still uses. The big one is Papa. Since day one he called Cliff Papa. When we came home we tried "Daddy" but it was a no go. He understands what a Daddy is and he knows its the same thing as a Papa. If asked who his Daddy is he knows its Cliff. People we know think it is really cool and so do we. I actually work with a guy who wants his young daughter to call him Papa because he likes it so much. Matt Lauder's (from NBC's The Today Show) children call him Papa as well. I was wondering if any of your children call their Dad Papa- or is it just mine?

Well my Papa, Max's Grandpa Goofy is recovering from prostate surgery in Vanderbilt today. Please pray for a speedy recovery and no cancer in the lymph nodes. He is doing well per Mom. Max is very concerned about "Grandpa's boo-boo".

Mother's day was very nice. I woke up to roses, so I can't beat that, oh yeah... my son being home this year, that was awesome! Hope everyone out there had a great day. Mine was perfect except the part at brunch when Max wanted to sit by Papa not Mommy.

The wedding planning is coming along. I am having lots of fun. I am learning that these things are pretty pricey- Whenever you say the phrase "for a wedding" prices increase by 25%.

So do people really spend several hundred dollars for a cake??? If so I send my apologies to all of the bride and grooms out there who invited me to their weddings, because if I knew how much you spent on that cake I would have savored each and every bite. I know I have been in the dark for years, but come on!!! Oh, and if my invitations are not printed on 100% linen paper are people going to think I'm cheap? So much pressure. I say that but this really is fun, especially the cake tasting and the endless champagne they give you while trying on dresses. I am sure its to get you loaded to impair your judgement on the price of a dress you will wear for a total of 6 hours.

7 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

Hi Sira!
Email me at janeandjimbo@yahoo dot com so you can tell me when you'll be in Houston - I'd LOVE to meet you!!

Funny post about the peeing by the way!
Jane

Troy and Rachel said...

Loved the peeing bullet points - will be taking those to mind!! Totally understand not wanting to pay a fortune for a cake!! Looking forward to hearing more about the plans and glad to see a post from you - to know you all are doing well!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I'm so glad you had a great Mother's Day! Owen seemed to want his Dada more that day too :( but he's been glued to me ever since so that makes up for it! :)

Loved reading your potty training tips for boys. I will remember these!!

Your wedding plans sound like they are coming right along. No, we don't care if you use pure linen invitations or if the cake costs hundreds of dollars. I couldn't believe our cake was $400, and I've heard of much more expensive ones! And the dress, you're right...you only wear it such a little while. Find one you love but don't pay so much that you'll regret it later!

Oh, and I do know two people who have children who call their fathers Papa, and they are a Caucasian family and an African American family with biological children! :) I think it's so cute Max still calls Cliff Papa.

Can't wait to see you in the Fall!
Adrienne

Carey and Norman said...

Boys are hilarious, aren't they. Yes, we've had an eventful spring peeing off the deck at our house. This is the new favorite and no, he doesn't care if he has an audience. It is cute, isn't it? It is like we have our own little working fountains.

As for the wedding, yes sticker shock is expected. It is fun planning for your big day. Enjoy all the cake tasting too. Wedding cake is my favorite part of the wedding...besides seeing the bride coming down the aisle.

I love that Max calls Cliff Papa. Our little ones are currently calling us Norman and Carey. For some reason, our son began doing this and our daughter has followed suit. So, we are Norman and Carey. At least, they know our names should they get lost. Ha.

Best wishes and have fun planning your wedding!

Rachel said...

Um, I'm glad my kid isn't the only one who touches his pee mid-stream. He doesn't really do it anymore, but every now and then...

We ended up doing a 5 tier (I think) cupcake tree for our wedding, with a small cake for us to cut. People LOVED it AND it was only $100 for 300 cupcakes. I was the queen of cutting wedding costs.

Nancy said...

Hi Sira!

I think Papa is cute. Nathan calls Brian "Daddy" because we started it real early on, in the hotel. I still get called "Mama" every once in a while, but mostly I'm Mommy.

I remember when I was planning my wedding, it seemed like everything was $1000 or more. Our cake ended up being $800. That was the cheapest we could find! Even the grocery store cake was $1000. It's outrageous! We printed our own invitations, which saved some money.

Enjoy the wedding planning!

junglemama said...

Great point about the diapers. But I don't consider 30 months an older child when we adopted our girls at 8,8,8, and 11. But then again, someone who is adopting a teenager would not consider our girls older either. :)