CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 4, 2008

Has it been that long...

I can't believe it has been 6 weeks since my last post?! Holy Cow. I have been keeping up with everyone else... but forget to update you guys on us. Well, all is well on the home front. Work is busy (which is always good) Max is turning into a genius (no really), and Cliff is just as perfect as ever.

Easter was fun. My son liked the Easter Bunny so much better then Santa. He colored eggs, looked for eggs and ate WAY too much candy. Fun times.





My son is so smart! He knows his colors, shapes, can count to 20, and he says his ABC's! Yes we all know how much I love to brag on my child...but I really have a point to make here. Now I know everyone is going to say- well he should know that at three- yes maybe but he has been home for 9 months. Not to mention I am meeting more and more kids that are older that have lived here their whole lives and don't know these things. Actually I am learning that more and more parents depend on the daycare or the school system way too much. I mean I expect that my son should learn things at preschool, that's why I write the BIG check right? But I am wondering what is our responsibility as parents to teach our children? Am I putting too much pressure on my kid to "know" things or is it my obligation? I (and Cliff) enjoy quizzing our son on things, like "see that dog? what sound does the dog make" or "what color is that car?" We like taking him places like the beach, boating, farms, trails, vacations and exposing him to different things and people. I mean its not like I expect him to do multiplication but I enjoy the teaching part of parenting. I know all children learn at their own speed, however I ask this because I feel sometimes its not the child's fault if they don't know things. What do some of you think?

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks: Max has not seen snow since Russia, so one Friday Cliff called me up at work and said- were going to "ski town" aka Boone NC. It was so much fun!!!






So I am saving the best news for last... DRUM ROLL.............

After 7 years I have finally picked a date for the wedding! November 1 2008. I know I am a little shocked myself. I am extremely excited. The planning is going to be fun. I found the best planner. Please email me your addresses if I don't already have them. And of course save the date!!

16 comments:

Rachel said...

We are SOOO there! Darren is excited about golfing and we may make a little family vaca out of it. Oh, and Max IS smart, and a lot of that is due to you guys. Some kids just pick up on certain things naturally (Alex can't figure out how to make the letter "A" in sign language, but he can do a backflip off the couch with ease), but a lot has to do with parental involvement. Don't let anyone tell you what you do isn't important!!

Rachel said...

And have you ever noticied how freaky the Easter Bunny always looks? I would have a panic attack if I saw that thing wander around in my backyard!

MandyJo013078 said...

Congrats on setting a date! I'm so happy for you! That is just wonderful! Thanks for the compliments I've worked so hard and it's so fun to actually shop at stores that I've looked at ... with friends (knowing I can't fit into anything in that store) forever! It was so cool to go into Banana Republic and things fit me! I got that suit and the shoes and everything! It was so awesome! Max is adorable! Glad you guys had a great Easter and it sounds like in his 9 months at home you've taught him so much! From my nanny point of view people do expect preschool to teach kids everything. Quite a few parents don't work with their kids - I know this from experience.
Good Luck on the wedding planning I'm so happy for you!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Love the pictures! What's up with the Easter bunny outfits? Ours was pretty wild too...

Thank you for the update! As a former preschool teacher, nanny, and full-time speech pathologist and now a mommy myself, I COMPLETELY agree with your thoughts on parents needing to teach their children. Teachers cannot teach children everything they need to learn if there is not carryover at home. If a child is not in preschool, it is even more so the job of the parents to make sure the child is learning what he/she needs to be learning for their age. I think about this all the time...Owen would never know the things he does if I didn't teach him and talk to him about EVERYthing we're doing. In speech therapy, I could always tell the children whose parents worked with them at home vs. those who didn't. The ones who did were in and out of therapy within a year. The ones who didn't were in therapy for YEARS! Good for you for taking the time and enjoying teaching your child! He's such a beautiful little boy, Sira.

We are so happy you set a wedding date and would LOVE to come!!!!!! I will put it on our calendar right now :o)

Janine said...

Sira!! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

Wow!! Max sounds amazing! It's so great to hear how well he is doing. And I love what a proud mama you are of me! Brag away!

Janine said...

That was a little werid of me...I meant to say..I love what a proud mama you are of him. Oh my..that was a little embarrassing. I'd better start proof reading before I hit send instead of after! :-) Yikes!

Nancy said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that Max is doing so well! That's awesome! I agree with you that we need to be teaching and reinforcing things at home too. Nov 1 is just around the corner, that's exciting!!!

Troy and Rachel said...

Congrats on setting the wedding date!!! Max is such a cutie - I love the hair in the botom couple of pictures!!! Keep us posted on the wedding!

Gary & Rosalie Clute said...

Thanks for the update - and congratulations on the date!

Carey and Norman said...

Love the Easter Bunny picture. Max is a doll. It sounds like you've been busy. I can fully understand.

I'm excited to hear that you've set a date for the wedding. That is exciting news.

We'd love to come fishing sometime. I love South Carolina, so maybe we can plan a trip soon to visit....November maybe?

Melissa said...

Janine just cracked me up, big time! Other than that, congrats on the upcoming wedding! Very exciting!!

And I totally agree, it sounds like you are doing the right things with Max. Not forcing him to learn, but providing lots of experiences that allow for learning. That is the key!!

Becky and Keith said...

Hehehe... Janine's comment just made me giggle. CONGRATS on the date! That is so awesome! Max is going to look so handsome in a tux or whatever he ends up wearing! You do have a smart boy and you're a smart mama for working with him so much. I love seeing pictures of him - have I ever mentioned that he's going to be a heartbreaker some day? :-) Watch out mama!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Max is doing so well! That is wonderful! I think it is great that you are working with him so much, and he sounds very smart!

Congratulations on setting your wedding date!

junglemama said...

Your son is so cute! Congrats on the wedding date! You have so much to do between now and then. :)
Is your son going to be the ring bearer?

Jane and Jim said...

Hi - I read your blog from time to time and I totally love reading about your little guy - he's soooooooo adorable!
Congrats on the wedding date! It'll be a lot of fun -

I think you're right on target with your parenting techniques.

MandyJo013078 said...

Happy Mother's Day! Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you! How's the family! I miss hearing about you and Max and Cliff and the doggies! You'll have to post soon!
MandyJo