CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 31, 2007

Good Tidings




Today is the last day of 2007. What a year. I don't think I have ever had a year close to this one. Sure I have had some pretty eventful years in my 30 years of life but nothing comes close to 2007!

REFLECTIONS

I started out the year pretty bummed. I had pictures of my son but no travel dates in sight. All I knew was that I should know when CHI was re-accredited when I could get the go ahead to travel on the first trip. I wasn't hearing too much because of the Russian holiday.


A few weeks later I turned the BIG 3-0! Fun times. I had a HUGE birthday bash that totally cheered me up. Which reminds me of the wonderful group of supportive people that surround me. I am blessed with the best friends in the world! Another BIG thank you to all of you that helped get me through everything and bring my little guy home.




I was then sitting in the doctors office with what I thought to be the killer cold. My phone rang... It was CHI saying I had an invitation to travel to Vladivostok. What??? But I thought...? What? Just go with it... And I did! by the way this news cured my killer cold instantly!

I traveled to Mother Russia with my Mother. I just remember how cold it was getting off that plane- you have to remember I am a Carolina girl! I hated going without Cliff. I missed him so much and I knew he wanted to be there too with every fiber of his being. I am glad that my mother was there. If there was anyone that I could have shared the experience of meeting my child with it was her. She was my rock. It meant the world that she was with me.


The one thing that stands out in my memory about the day I met my son was the drive from the Ministry of Education to the Artyom baby home. After meeting with the MOE and getting my marching papers to go a see this child we got into a van. It was me, my Mom, and the Norris. I just met these people a couple days before this particular day and its funny how now I think of them as part of my family. Anyways back to the van, yes they said we would be there at the baby home in 40 minutes. It was so snowy and icy. My heart was about to beat out of my chest and that driver had to be the most passive driver in all of Russia. OK, I know that was a good thing but I was so nervous and excited! I was praying I wouldn't break into tears of joy when I first saw him in fear of freaking out the poor child. I was wondering if he was going to scream in total fear of me. We drove what seemed like 2 hours but it was really only an hour. We finally arrived to the baby home which look like it was 100 years old. We all walked inside and were told that we would go into a room and they would bring the children to us. We walked up stairs and to my surprise there he was sitting on Irina's lap. He was perfect, purple tights and all. At 25 months he weighed only 19 lbs. He was everything I could have ever wanted.

The next part of the year was spent preparing the house, the dogs, and yes, the PARENTS for his arrival. More heartache of waiting for him, more paperwork, and finally a court date. Another memory that stands out is when I booked the plane tickets and had to book seats for Max. It was so surreal booking tickets for him in his new name to come home to the US. Funny how these things stick out in your mind. I guess it is because these are the moments when it becomes "real". Both Cliff and I left the first of June.

Cliff meeting his son for the first time was very cool! All smiles. I mean it- he smiled all day!!! I never seen anything like it. Court, waiting periods, and BAM! HELLO MOMMY AND PAPA!!! The child that thought we were pretty neato at the baby home wanted to know exactly why we were taking him away. We had our ups and downs but what new parents don't? Wait don't answer that.

Max attached and bonded at record speed. I don't think he will let me out of his sight until he is about 16. He defiantly likes the security of his parents. He has experienced trauma that most can't imagine. He trust us and we have some issues with him being away from us. He basically doesn't like it so we don't force it. Seriously I waited for him for so long do you think I would care if he wanted Mommy all the time?


I found myself at the beginning of the year angry. I want to end the year at peace with my journey. I believe that yes, God knows what he is doing... I can't do it all. I know that is a BIG shock. I have learned to just to "go with it". I was very angry with my son's birth mother for things I was told happened. This is the story told by the Russian authorities. I had a moment back in October when I was driving and looked into my rear view mirror and saw my perfect son singing in the backseat. I don't know why but at that very moment in time it occurred to me that he was always my son. This boy was born to be Cliff and my son, that will never change. She thinks about him and wonders. I felt a wave of sadness for her. How do I know what she did or didn't do? All I know is that she gave birth to my son. I am grateful for that. Our paths crossed and two women's' lives intertwined. I have written her a letter hopefully giving her peace that the child she gave birth to is safe, healthy, happy, and deeply, deeply loved. I hope to send that letter very soon.

This year I have met so many wonderful people along this journey. I thank you for your support this year and for letting me be apart of your journeys. I think we have a connection to each other that is pretty remarkable. I really think that all us adoptive parents need to pick a date for Disney World!

This year I have learned so much. I have learned that love knows no boarders. You really have to trust God- I mean it. I have learned that just because you took that leap of faith on love you may not land for a long time. Sometimes there is no ground in sight but the leap itself is worth it- I'll let you know when I land...

RESOLUTIONS

I am going to TRY to cook more this year. So any of you out there that want to send recipes- I am needing 'em!

I will pick a wedding date this year. No more Bradgelina. It may be in Vegas but I will get married this year.

I will try to return phone calls- if you called me and I missed your call- don't leave a voicemail- my phone tells me if you called or not I can hit call back- seriously lets skip the message leaving step.


We had a wonderful Christmas. I will post more about it after New Years.

10 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

What a nice tribute to 2007! I am so glad you brought your Max home this year. Wishing you the best in 2008.

Becky and Keith said...

Wow... what a fabulous post. I've been so excited for 2008 to come because I feel like so many good things will be happening! Your post just picked my spirits up another notch! BTW, I WILL be emailing you for info on all of the toddler stuff! :-) Happy New Year!

Nancy said...

Wow, what a great post! I can't believe how much Max has changed in the past year, that's incredible!!! I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year!!!

Janine said...

What a great post! And what an exciting 2007 year you had! I loved seeing your first pictures of you and Max and your story about meeting him. I'm so glad everything is going so well. Happy New Year!

Rachel said...

This just brings it all back and into perspective, doesn't it? I look at those pics of Max from trip one and look at him now...WOW! What a difference. And hey, you know I am always up for Disney!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I loved reading this. It brought back so many similar memories for me. Our boys have come so far during the past year, haven't they? There were so many days we felt we'd never be where we are today, that we'd never get to hold our boys again as we waited so endlessly, and look at what we have now. Aren't they just perfect? :)

Jim and I are very hesitant about being away from Owen too. I went to dinner with some girlfriends tonight, and it was so hard being away. Jim was with him so it wasn't too bad, but I also feel we waited so long for him, and he's only had us for 5 1/2 months so we don't have to be apart if we don't want to be!

Max looks like he is doing great. I'm looking forward to hearing about his first Christmas. I still haven't sat down long enough to post about Owen's on our blog. It's coming...maybe during his nap tomorrow...

We are planning a 10-day trip to Disney World in May for Jim to do the Ford Half Ironman Triathlon there and to take Owen to WDW. We'd love for you to join us!!!!

MandyJo013078 said...

That was an awesome post! Thanks so much for sharing! I can't wait to see what 2008 brings for all of us! Happy New Year to you! Many Blessings :) Mandy

Carey and Norman said...

I think we all enjoy reading this post as we understand your emotions expressed as you went from a waiting mom to a mom home with her adorable child who loves to be with his mother and enjoys his new family and life (Okay, I know this is a really long sentence). We all too long for this happy, fairy tale ending. As we begin 2008, I am one of the waiting moms wanting a court date. We long for any news of our children which is hard as Vlad the wait times b/w trips is so long. I know my day in court will come in God's perfect timing, but it doesn't make the wait easier. Knowing our little one will be home soon and will adjust as Max has done is promising. I'm so glad to hear that Max has found his home and that this year will be a year of many promises. I cannot wait to hear of wedding plans! I know Max must be excited too!

Many blessings and lots of love. I too would love to meet at Disney. I told Adrienne that I'm not sure if we can make it in May with our trip to Russia this year, but we definitely want to go and meet up with some of our fellow adoptive families!

Anonymous said...

Also a waiting mama with CHI. I have a 5 yo son adopted from Kemerovo in 2004. Boys are GREAT!!!I have been waiting for my little girl 18 months now (since completed dossier, July 2006), 24 months since agency contract. I so relate to your feelings about the holidays a year ago. I felt the same way during this last Christmas season. Melancholy, yes. Someone was missing!

Congratulations! Enjoy your little guy! Happy New Year & I will keep following along with your journey. If you would like, please visit my blog as well.

www.nrbfamily.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

ok, so i know i already commented, but i checked your blog again that pic of max with santa STILL makes me laugh! i think it's the best one i've ever seen!!