CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

Look who has hair!!!


He is growing hair! Hooray.

It has been a while since my last post and so much has happened! Max has met most of his family- waiting on you Rob!!! Illinois is not that far... OK maybe a little. Hope to get there soon.

I went back to work. I am not going to lie, it was extremely difficult and sad. I questioned myself everyday the first week. I am lucky in that I love what I do. My employer has been and continues to be extremely flexible and understanding to my situation. I work in television. I work at an ABC affiliate and I LOVE ABC. So how does eveyone feel about the new shows? OK I know Cavemen is very dumb. I hope it gets the boot. Dirty Sexy money is awsome though!!!

One thing that I got asked about when I returned to work is "so do you like being a mom?" Well that is a complex question. Of course the politically correct answers are "Yes", "of course", and "It is the greatest job in the world" Now I will try and answer this question honestly. Do I love being a mother? I am scared a lot of the time. I am always worrying about my son, and constantly thinking of things I don't want him influence by and exposed too. When I am away from him miss him so much it hurts, I am always worried I might make the wrong decisions. So, no maybe I don't LOVE being a mom however I LOVE being Max's mom. Does that make sense? I am always trying to be a better mother. I read a friend's blog post (yes, you Rachel) and what you said was true (everyone needs this book I listed below). Max does not "complete" me, he does not define me but that will make him a much better person and me a better mother. He makes my life better, brighter, happier, and I thank God everyday for that. I like being Sira. I like that Max and I can just be silly. I love that I have hobbies and I love that my son is apart of this mix. I love that we eat pizza and cookies! I love that we snuggle with our big dogs! No, I will never be that mom that will count the MSG in food, nor will I be the mom that organizes Field trips and go to "play groups". I wanted to be that mom for so long. I think for the past few months I was trying to fit a mold that I just wasn't. My son has taught me that I am good enough being just me. Yes, do I wish I could cook dinner every night from scratch (and it still be edible) and make sure my child has proper manners all the time- of course, but it is what it is and I am the happiest I have ever been! So go out and buy the book Rachel recommended- I Was A Good Mom Before I Had Kids. It is good for the soul.




Max is doing well. He is speaking in 2-3 word sentences and can count to 4. It hasn't happened over night but it has taken a lot of hard work. All of those hours sitting Indian style putting wooden puzzles together. I am always trying to stimulate his brain and he just loves to learn. Right now we are working on letters.

He loves school and loves to talk about his friends. I will say that he seems to be learning so much by just playing with others his age. It has really help with his language.



He is still seeing the OT every Friday and has started speech. The speech therapist seems pretty impressed by what he knows so far. We went back to MUSC and the OT at the hospital said that my son has went from a delayed, below normal 2 year old to an above average 2 year old in gross and fine motor skills (minus the fact of language). Proof I am not doing too bad.

One thing that we are facing is the fact that he is still not gaining weight. Still 25 lbs. Hence the part where I am worried all of the time. He actually grew an inch and a half but that only made him lower (like we need to go lower) on the weight curve. They are going to do more test next week. I have been so worried the last couple of days- welcome to motherhood. I am sure this is just the first of many things to worry about.

Other then that Max is happy. We had to cancel our annual trip to Boone, NC this weekend. We are hopefully going next weekend if he feels better. He was going to hike Grandfather Mountain for the first time. Hopefully we will be there next weekend- and the leaves will look beautiful on the mountain. If he misses next week then hopefully he will make the ski trip!


I do want to congratulate Gary, Rosalie, Dina, and Kobe on their court dates! Yeah! More children coming home. Also to Rachel and Darren, they are starting the process for their second!!! A girl from Kyrgyzstan. Wish you all the best.

I promise to keep posting- more and more. I will keep everyone posted on Max' weight.

9 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

I enjoyed reading the update. Max has made so much progress since he has been home. He is adorable. Our little one weighed 25 lbs at 3 years, so I am a little worried about the weight as well. My mom says she will feed her mashed potatoes and gravy to help put a little meat on her bones.

Loved the clip on being a mom. I agree that trying to be the poster mom adds extra stress and that sometimes you just have to do what is right for you and your child. I felt like I needed to have our son enrolled in Kindermusik and all the other educational classes, and I've learned that sometimes less is more.

Loved the photos. He is adorable and so very cute!! Enjoy the holidays. You will have so much fun celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas together!!

Melissa said...

Totally, completely, 100%, absolutely can relate to your thoughts on being a mom. I love it - but thought that I would be better at it (the june cleaver stuff) than I have been. It has taken me about 3 months, but I finally feel comfortable in my new role - and Iliya seems to be comfortable in his new role as my son. We are who we are...right?!

Anyway, I'm glad you finally posted! I've checked your blog at least once every other day! Glad to hear that Max has hair, and that he is growing taller. Hopefully he'll start putting weight on his little body. Did you do "diaper digging" to make sure he didn't have any intestinal parasites? Iliya ended up having giardia...took some meds...and now he's rid of it. But that kind of thing can hinder weight gain.

Anyway - great post! (and I am going to check out that book you mentioned!)

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Who knew Max would be cuter every time I see him?! :) His new hair is so adorable, and I know you're glad it's finally growing. He is doing great, Sira, catching up with his fine motor and language skills. We've seen with Owen that it just takes time and that sometimes less really IS more. Keep loving on that sweet boy and he'll continue to do great! Give him a hug from his cousin Owen! Keep those photos coming! :)

MandyJo013078 said...

Sira -
I am so glad that you posted. I check your blog alot! Max looks so cute w/ his hair & even if he is on the small end of the weight curve - he looks very healthy. Just to give you an example - the doctor's have said that my sister's baby IV (pics on my blog) is at the low end of the weight curve for her height and age. She only weighs 17 lbs but she is happy and healthy and she eats very healthy & is breastfed - so my sister just doesn't worry about it because IV is thriving. Oh and I know it's not the same because Max is P.I. - but I truely believe every child is different. It sounds like Max is thriving as well learning growing taller and doing well in school.
I liked you post about being a mom! I'm so happy for you that you've found a good spot for you and Max - because that is what is really important in life is being happy with who you are and where you are at! Max is so cute!
My favorite ABC shows are SuperNanny (betcha couldn't have guessed that one!) and Extreme Home Makeover. I don't watch a whole bunch of TV just because I'm training and what not (I've lost 41 pounds at this point) - but I watch those shows w/ the little girls that I nanny for and my mom. So those are my favorites.
Keep posting and keep the pictures coming. I've missed you! Mandy

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Max is adorable, and his hair is so cute!! It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job as his mom. He seems like he is doing so well with his motor skills and his language. We'll be praying that he will be able to gain some weight. By the way, the pictures are so cute! I love the one with the cell phone!

Troy and Rachel said...

Max is such a handsome little guy!! I look forward to hearing more updates and that he gains more weight soon. I also loved what you said about being a mom!

Anonymous said...

So, first I must say that Max is looking rather dashing with his hair! Love it! And second, thanks for the props! Always fun to be mentioned :) Glad you liked the book (you DID actually read it, didn't you?)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've learned about you from Adrienne Fleming's blog. We're adopting from Vlad (someday!!!) through CHI. I wondered if I could ask you a few questions? My e-mail address is peyton18@sbcglobal.net.

Thanks!
Stacy Pullins

junglemama said...

Hey 25 lbs isn't so bad. :) He looks healthy and happy. I have some very skinny kiddos too. My nine year old daughter adopted in 2005 from Russia is very tiny. She just went to an endocrinologist and may qualify for growth hormones.